Insurance for Production and Photographic Shoots in the United States of America.

Here’s some commonly asked questions that we often address for clients when undertaking photographic and production shoots in the USA.

What is General Liability and Workers Compensation?

If you are producing a shoot in the USA, it is worth remembering that the Americans refer to public liability as general liability and employers’ liability as workman’s compensation.

If you employ an American on your production/shoot in the USA, then you will not be able to cover them on a British employers’ liability insurance policy, you will be required to take out an Americans workman’s compensation policy. It is the same for productions/shoots in Canada using Canadian Nationals. For more information regarding workers compensation and employers’ liability in the USA please click on the following link:

USA Production Insurance, Workers Compensation and Employers Liability

Are Production & Photographic Insurance Documents in the USA different?

If you have a production or shoot in the USA/Canada, it is worth remembering that a lot of their production insurance documents are different to ours in the UK, with difference certificates, policy wordings and terminology.

When shooting in America, it is wise to get all your documentation cleared in plenty of time, to avoid the risk of your shoot being cancelled or delayed due to bureaucracy or red-tape, should someone not be happy with your UK insurance documents.

Photographic Insurance and Additional Insured’s in the USA

If you have a production/shoot in the USA/Canada, it is quite common for American locations, studios, local councils/authorities or hire companies to require to be noted on your production public/general liability policy.

Likewise on American productions, it is common for studios and hire companies to want to be noted on your property or production hired equipment policies as loss parties or additional assureds.

If this is the case contact your insurance providers with plenty of time to spare, as documentation can take a few days to be produced in order to be US requirements.

If you need any help or further guidance in relation to the points above please call 0208 659 5038.

Williamson Carson are experts in insurance and passionate about supporting the creative industries. Discover how we can help protect you from risk, with bespoke cover for your industry. Contact us now. Read more insights and interviews by Williamson Carson.